November. At this time of the year, the skunk (or skunk) eat as much as possible and in search of a burrow to spend the cold season.
Their home could be yours …
To save you from having this undesirable pest at home, here are some tricks to capture a skunk by yourself.
You do not want to risk being sprayed or bitten by a skunk? For the capture and relocation of a skunk in Montreal and surrounding area in a safe and professional manner, CONTACT OUR EXTERMINATORS now!
The habitat of the skunk
Skunks are very active during the winter, but it does not completely hibernate. It needs a decent and safe shelter to spend the season.
Skunks usually occupy abandoned burrows of other animals. These places can be in your home, a veranda, a shed or in your cellar, depending on the food available nearby. It stands close to humans as the skunk does not fear them.
If winter temperatures are mild, it will go outside to find food. It will also be released around February or March for reproduction. The female and her babies completely go out of their burrow in early spring.
*Tips: Fall, before the soil freezes completely, skunks dig holes in the grass in order to find worms beetles (called white grubs). They can also return the clods and leave your land in very poor condition.
Getting rid of a skunk … not so easy!
The first thing to know is to know where the skunk hides.
Its burrow can be difficult to find because the skunk comes out only in the early morning or dusk. We therefore do not automatically know where it comes from.
* Tips: to find out if there is a skunk at home, put flour on the ground, around 6pm, where you suspect the location of the burrow. Take care to leave your pet inside in order to not distort the information. If you see footprints in the morning it proves that an unwanted animal hides in it.
If there really was a stinking beast, then you must scare or capture it.
Scare away a skunk
• Eliminate what attracts the skunk:
The skunk finds refuge in abandoned burrows and everything that could serve as shelter against predators and bad weather, such as a pile of wood, stumps, debris, car bodies, etc.
You must then make a grounds maintenance . Consider also that your waste can also be attractive for these scavengers. So have the waste in an appropriate container and sealed. You can also leave your trash in a screened wooden box. Collect the leaves on your property. The leaves heap hide small insects and skunks love it.
• Use repellents for skunk:
We have at our disposal at our service counter repellents for skunk. These products are useful to repel without intoxicating them.
There is also homemade solutions. You can use moth balls, sheets of “bounce”, pepper, ammonia, use a water jet, etc. to remove the skunk. Suddenly the beast will be out of the burrow, be careful that it does not to attack you! When the skunk will be out, put the pin in the burrow entrance (and exit if it is not the same aperture).
* Did you know …The skunk could be a carrier of rabies and could pass it on to you? Rabies is a reportable disease under the regulations on animal health. This means that anyone who suspects that a skunk is reached rage is legally required to report the animal to the authorities.
The capture of the skunk:
You can capture the skunk yourself by having first to ask advice from our experts, in order to avoid missing your attempt or being attacked.
– For the capture, you will need a cage for wild animals of medium size, type “box or cage trap.” You can pick one up at our counter service.
– You must then bait it. Remember that you must place the cage outside the burrow, otherwise you will have difficulty recovering the cage. The bait can be boiled eggs, sardines or even remaining tables. But if that’s too enticing, you could attract other wildlife …
– So you have captured the skunk, you will have to cover the trap of several canvas bags to transport the animal. Have no fear, the skunk will not spray if it can’t lift the tail completely (hence the importance of having a not too big cage).
– You will have to free the skunk a few kilometers away in a natural environment and healthy for its survival. You can contact the Society of the protection of animals in your area to know the area most conducive to their relocation places.
You can trust our exterminators for capturing an undesirable skunk.
Our pest management professionals can capture the skunk for you, effectively and safely.
They will do a site assessment to find the burrow and take the necessary steps to catch it effectively. Then they relocate and analyze the damage caused by the animal and they will make recommendations on measures to correct the situation and to avoid further inconvenience. All that, by respecting the principle of integrated control.